There are new devices available for sale on the internet that allows the user to breathe in alcoholic fumes produced by heating liquor.
One of the brands, Vaportini, is available from an American website for $45.
It promises users ‘a revolutionary way of consuming alcohol’ with the user enjoying an advantage of almost zero calories, impurities and carbohydrates. It also speeds up the effect of absorbing alcohol.
Users have however been warned about the dangers linked to the inhalation of alcohol. An advisor to Drinkaware, the UK charity, has stated that this is a new trend, hence there is no scientific data related to the effects of it. He also stated that it has the potential to be an extremely dangerous act and are warning users to take extreme care when trying this new device.
Professor Chris Day has stated that because it is able to bypass the natural defence mechanisms in your body that limits the amount of alcohol you can consume is the reason why it should be considered unsafe.
According to an Edinburgh psychiatrist, Professor Jonathan Chick, the impact of this action on the brain will be greater than drinking alcohol in the traditional manner. Some of the alcohol in the vapour will not have been broken down as it passes through your liver. This poses a risk to brain cell damage.
This vapour method may lead to users absorbing larger amounts of alcohol than they would by drinking alcohol through the mouth. Your stomach limits the rate at which it empties its contents and could cause the drinker to start vomiting, which limits the intake.
Those individuals who are looking for a fast method of intoxication may be drawn to the vapour method.
The London Fire Brigade has shown concern as it states that alcohol needs to be heated to a minimum of 40⁰C before it starts to evaporate. This could lead to potential burn victims and the possibility of causing fires whilst intoxicated.
They have also warned that drinking alcohol and fire do not mix. Statistics indicate that one in four people who succumb to fires have alcohol in their bloodstream.
Image credit: William Warby