Most parents forget to use sun cream themselves

0

A charity has issued a warning about many parents being so focused on applying sun cream to their children that they forget to use it themselves.

A survey of 950 parents found that 74% always ensure that their children are wearing sun cream with a SPF of at least 15. However, this leaves a massive 26% who do not ensure this.

About 47% said they regularly forget to use sun cream themselves because they are too involved in focusing on their child’s skin.

Only 55% made sure that their child spends some time out of direct sunlight and 62% ensured that their child wears a hat or covers up with clothing.

The survey was done by Cancer Research UK and Nivea Sun. The charity is asking people to use at least SPF15 sun cream, wear protective clothing and look for shade during the hottest days of the year.

A senior health information officer at Cancer Research UK, Sarah Williams, said parent should also practice what they preach and take care of their skin as well. She said it was particularly concerning to note that while out in the scorching sun only 25% of parents who participated in the survey used a hat or clothing to cover up as this is known to be one of the most efficient methods of protecting your skin.

She added that the organisation’s aim is to assist parents in setting an example which will result in their children having a healthy attitude towards the sun.

She said that the use of factor 15 sun cream, clothing and shade will protect your skin from the harmful UV rays from the sun. The UV rays are responsible for premature aging and wrinkles, but it also places one at risk of skin cancer.

Image Credit: Peter Werkman

Share.

About Author

Robert Wiltshire

Robert is a part-time writer and enjoys screen writing when his schedule allows. A keen writer, Robert graduated in 2002 from Warwick University with a 2:1 in Creative Writing. Hobbies include; Mountain Biking, Keeping Fit and Cooking

Leave A Reply